Application note: Simultaneous detection of GPCR second messengers in living cells
Due to their role in signal transmission from the outside to the inside of a cell, G-protein coupled receptors are prominent drug targets…
Signaling from a stimulated Gq-coupled receptor activates Phospholipase C (PLC) and results in production of the second messengers PIP2, DAG and finally in the release of Ca2+.
Montana Molecular developed genetically encoded biosensors that decrease (downward) or increase (upward) fluorescence in presence of the specific Gq associated second messengers. They are available in red and green to enable multiplexing.
The sensors were expressed in HEK293 cells and the acetylcholine receptor was activated by Carbachol. Generation of DAG, PIP2 and Ca2+ was reliably reported by the biosensors and the CLARIOstar® proved a suitable detector: filter-based and monochromator-based measurements were sensitive and fast enough to detect changes of up to two second messengers upon carbachol injection in one well, necessary for unambiguous identification of Gq signaling.
This application note is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- quarterly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Under the microscope: Improving hit discovery efficiency at Europe´s leading screening centre
- Webinar highlights: Cell-based and biochemical high-throughput screening in 1536-well plates
- Under the microscope: CROs and microplate reader requirements
- Customer testimonial PHERAstar FSX and CLARIOstar
- Application note: PHERAstar® measures AlphaScreen assay to develop selective inhibitors for the human YEATS domains