Tech note: Benefits of water immersion lenses for HCS
Water immersion lenses provide: brighter images from HCS samples; faster and gentler imaging; higher quality images from both 2D and 3D samples.
When setting up an HCS assay, factors such as the resolution and sensitivity required to capture the sub-cellular detail, and the number of cells needed for robust statistics, must be weighed up against the need for speed or throughput.
Balancing the key factors in HCS imaging – sensitivity, resolution and speed – can be challenging since they cannot be optimised independently: changing one impacts the others. Nevertheless, there is a way to overcome some of the obstacles and, in this technical note, we explain why the choice of the objective lens is critical.
Learn how water immersion objective lenses:
- can provide significantly brighter images from typical HCS samples compared to air objectives
- allow a tenfold decrease in excitation energies and consequently much faster and gentler imaging
- increase the resolution and decrease optical aberrations, providing higher quality images from both 2D and 3D samples
This tech note is restricted - login or subscribe free to access
Thank you for visiting our website. To access this content in full you'll need to login. It's completely free to subscribe, and in less than a minute you can continue reading. If you've already subscribed, great - just login.
Why subscribe? Join our growing community of thousands of industry professionals and gain access to:
- quarterly issues in print and/or digital format
- case studies, whitepapers, webinars and industry-leading content
- breaking news and features
- our extensive online archive of thousands of articles and years of past issues
- ...And it's all free!
Related content from this organisation
- Global high-content screening market set to be worth $2.52bn by 2030
- Assays for protein degradation therapeutics to accelerate undruggable proteome discoveries
- Lab automation market set to increase at CAGR of seven percent
- Brochure: Biologics workflow solutions brochure
- Brochure: Viral research solutions